This is our first year of officially homeschooling. We're excited, so I thought I'd share a little bit about what we plan on doing this year.
We're doing Sonlight Core K this year. We've read one book so far and the kids are loving it. As much as I want to stay in the instructor's guide everyday, I don't think that's the way that it's going to be. My goal is to finish everything, but at our pace. I don't want to sprint through this year, but enjoy all the twists and turns.
I did pick up the Sonlight Language Arts 1, because Nathan was doing really well on learning to read, but it's kinda slowed down with the pregnancy and moving. Plus, I lost the book I was using to teach him in the move. (Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons) . We're also doing the Explode the Code as soon as I find it (it should be in the same place as the reading lesson book). I know that the books made it to this house, they were in the garage when we were moving our stuff in, and I thought that would be a safe place, but then everything got shuffled around between the garage and the shed, and we can't find them anywhere AHHHHHHHHHH!
We're also doing 1st grade Handwriting without Tears. We did the Kindergarten level last year with much success. I think it helped with learning to read too.
We are about 35 lessons into Horizons K Math. It's taught in a spiral fashion, which I didn't think that I would like, but now that we're used to it, both of us like it. It's getting harder right now, and he gets frustrated writing the numbers...he understands the math fine, but the writing part is difficult, so sometimes, I make him write half of it, and then I write his answers for the other half.
Dad is in charge of science, and they're going to do Sonlight science K. It's mostly usborne books, and they love the books. Science probably won't be every day, more like every few days, but they can have fun with it. I don't think that science is 'necessary' for kindergärtners anyway, I knew the instructor's guide would give them some structure for it.
Becca can do most of this with us....she'll be listening with the readers and read alouds, she can follow along with the science experiments, she can work on her handwriting as well. I might do some "letter of the week" stuff with her and let Nathan play along with that too.
Happy-first-year-of-homeschooling! It looks like you're doing great! I have a kindergartener this year, too, and a 2nd grader. We are switching over to Horizon's math this year and I'm hoping that goes great.
ReplyDeleteYeah on your first year! Horizons does move pretty fast. My daughter gets frustrated with the writing also and sometimes just draws lines to match things. I figure that as long as she knows the answers, we're good!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to homeschooling. I am now in my 8th year and love it. Every year I learn something new and God is so good to us each year. Wishing you a FUN and blessed school year.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to Sonlight! We're in our 8th year with this wonderful curriculum.
ReplyDeleteCan I offer just a teeny word of advice about your blog? Your links within your post are very hard for me to read because the colors you have chosen are so similar. I hope you will find that helpful and not rude. I did enjoy reading what you will be using this year. Thank you for sharing in the NOT Back-to-School blog hop.
These sound like great plans... once you find your books! :D
ReplyDeleteWhen my son was in K and 1st, he also could read and do math better than he could write, and so I would often help him out by writing his answers or letting him use number cards or do the problems orally. He's catching up now, for 3rd grade!
Have a great year.
Well welcome to the official start of a great adventure. Some nice choices here. Have a super year.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the homeschooling adventure!!! Have a fun year! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments and encouragement ladies. Glad we're not alone in our "writing" difficulties. Hope you all have a good year!
ReplyDeleteYes yes, happy 1st year! We are in We're going into year four. Wow. I just realized that, lol. It's such a blessing to be home with the kids and to see the joy on their faces as they learn new things. Good luck and God bless!
ReplyDeleteYea! Another Sonlight mom! This will be our first year using SL so it is nice to see that there are so many other people on here who use it as well. Thanks for sharing your plans for the year with all of us. :)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Hannah (#196 on the Blog Hop)
I hope you have a wonderful year! I wish I had started when mine were in K!
ReplyDeleteI wish you the best during your first year. You're going to love it! I enjoyed the "Funny Sayings" you have on the sidebar. God bless.
ReplyDelete