Background

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

How we rule our school


Sometime in our homeschool journey this year, I learned about Sue Patrick's workbox system, which I implemented towards the end of the school year. Every night (ideally) I load the boxes with their work, and they start at the top box, and work their way through the boxes. When they're done with the boxes, they're done with school for the day. I love how excited they get to explore the boxes and how independent this has made them.

These are our workboxes right now...

But these are the workboxes I want (from ikea)....
In Sue's system, each child would have their own set of boxes...but upwards of 30 boxes in my living room is WAY too much, so they've learned to share boxes.

What do I put in the boxes??

EVERYTHING. Their workbooks (handwriting, phonics, math), cards and board games, puzzles, art supplies, science experiments, our read aloud book, their readers. Gross and fine motor activities, stuff I find at garage sales, toys they haven't played with in ages....you get the idea. I've even put in a brownie mix.

I'm still tweaking the system and plan to use it full force in the fall when school "officially" starts back up. (we school in the summer, but not as rigorously).

2 comments:

  1. http://sunflowerschoolhouse.com/workbox-blogroll/

    A blog roll of others who workbox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Looking forward to taking a closer look at this idea, but my children are screaming at each other right now :)

    ReplyDelete