Background

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal June 17th

One of my friends has been participating in this journal every week and I've enjoyed reading hers, so I thought I would try it too...
The Homeschool Mother's Journal


In our homeschool this week…nothing much...just reading a bunch.  With VBS, it's been hard to have them do school as well.  I do want them to have some school this summer, but the house needs work too. 
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…We went to the strawberry patch for the first time.  The kids didn't last very long, and I broke out in a rash, but the strawberries are yummy!  We also went to the park for a playdate, and spent the week doing VBS at the church that they do AWANAs.  
What’s working/not working for us…This house.  It's a mess.  Clutter and papers everywhere.  Books abound.  Legos are underfoot.  I feel like I get one room halfway worked through, and another is trashed.  This HAS to get under control in the next few weeks as our scooter becomes a crawler.  
Things I’m working on…devising chores for the kids.  And how we want to reward the chores.  I struggle between giving them an allowance tied to chores or giving them other rewards.  I don't always want to be paying children for doing things they should do anyway.  I would like them to have their own money though...it really curbs the gimmies.  
I’m reading…A LOT.  We discovered the We Both Read books at the library....I read Night Road by Kristin Hannah, and I've been slowly working on Shoeless Joe on my Nook.  Our read aloud has been Ramona the Pest, but as we've been working on the summer reading program books, we haven't gotten very far in it. 
I’m grateful for…The church that my kids go to AWANAs....these people really have invested a lot with our kids.  

2 comments:

  1. There was an article in Parents not too long ago about allowance. If I remember correctly, the shouldn't get paid for chores they should be doing anyway, but if they do something above and beyond what's expected that's ok to reward them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is...our kids have some bad habits to break. I might do stickers and if they earn every sticker, then they draw a coupon for something fun. I would like them to earn money though...and why should they get money for existing?

    ReplyDelete