We joined the Summer Reading Program...and it seems to be a bit stricter than the others that I've ever joined. The kids have to read 10 books/week (or have them read to them) which is stressful to me, because that's a lot of library books to keep track of. They are sharing the books...I can't imagine having 20 library books checked out. (Plus, if we read 120 books this summer for the program, we will have conquered quite a chunk of the library) They are also required to read at least 1 non fiction or biography and complete an easy worksheet.
Anyway, while I was there, I discovered these amazing books in a series called We Both Read. The stories are actually good stories and not the usual boring readers, and the illustrations are fun too. Parents read one side, and then the kids read the other. They even have nonfiction selections as well. Nathan read this one pretty easily yesterday, so I'm guessing we can go up a 1/2 level. This one is an adaptation of an Inuit tale about a fox who tricks some animals to get what he wants and the consequences of that. We finished one, and I showed Nathan another and he begged to read it too.
The library has quite a selection of these (including one on space!), so I can imagine we'll be reading a ton of them in the coming weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment